Monday, June 20, 2016

We made it!

16 hours of flying later, my group and I have officially made it to Tanzania. We're staying at a Bed and Breakfast called "The Hibiscus," in a town called Moshi, and we're already in love with it.

We had a short layover in Istanbul, Turkey. In the time we were there, I was able to do some observations of accessibility in the airport. I saw dozens of workers driving what looks to be a power wheelchair for passengers with a disability or were elderly. Also, in one of the bathrooms, there was a sign for people with disabilities to wait in a spot to receive assistance. I'm assuming this is because bathrooms were not big enough to fit a wheel chair. While I think it's great that people with disabilities have an option of receiving help in the bathroom, it is taking away their independence.

Keep in mind, I was only in the airport for a short time, so there could be other accessibility features I missed. I'll be keeping my eye out for them when I get back!

Well, it's almost 4:00 am in Tanzania, so I should probably try to get some sleep. Can't wait to spend my first official day here!

Much love,
Lindsay

P.S. I'll post photos of what I'm talking about once I figure out how to!

No comments:

Post a Comment