Sunday, June 19, 2016

Off to Tanzania!

"You're off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so...get on your way!" -Dr. Seuss

After months of planning and lots of excitement, I finally leave for Tanzania! I am so thrilled to get the opportunity to embrace an entirely new culture in a continent I've never been to.

As promised, I did a little research on disabilities in Tanzania. According to a website I found, 3.5 million people in Tanzania are living with a disability. The WHO did a survey on 51 countries, including Tanzania, and found that only 51% of boys and 42% of girls with disabilities will complete their primary education. This makes it very difficult for children with disabilities to gain the social and academic skills they need in order to be an active member of society. Due to this, people with disabilities face great discrimination in the work place, and are often looked down upon.

I'll be continuing my research during my trip and will try to see the perception of disabilities in Tanzania first hand. I'll try my best to post while on my trip, but due to limited WiFi, it may be difficult. If I don't post within the next two weeks, expected a lot of posts once I get back!

Bon voyage!
Lindsay

P.S. Here is the website to the information I got!
http://www.ccbrt.or.tz/disability/

No comments:

Post a Comment